The missions of the Institute of Marine Affairs in Trinidad and Tobago are as follows:
- To develop and implement programs and projects that reflect the government’s marine policies and contribute to territorial development ;
- To develop and implement programmes and projects that promote and encourage regional and international collaboration on the exploitation of the marine environment and other related environmental areas.
- Promote public understanding and appreciation of all aspects of the marine environment ;
- Stimulate and promote marine scientific research in Trinidad and Tobago ;
- To promote the use and conservation of marine resources for the social and economic benefit of Trinidad and Tobago and to build national capacity ;
- To implement all actions to achieve the above objectives.
The CARIB-COAST project “Caribbean Network for Coastal Risk Monitoring and Prevention and Adaptation to Climate Change”, through its regional approach and its objectives of improving the sharing and dissemination of knowledge and risk prevention approaches, is clearly in line with the JAI’s missions.